The stars are in our belly; the Milky Way our umbilicus.
Is it a consolation that the stuff of which we’re made
is star-stuff too?
– That wherever you go you can never fully disappear –
dispersal only: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen.
Tree, rain, coal, glow-worm, horse, gnat, rock.
Thursday, 5 January 2012
'The Peace of Wild Things' (Wendell Berry poem)
When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.
~ Wendell Berry
- ► 2017 (51)
- ► 2016 (88)
- ► 2015 (78)
- ► 2014 (123)
- ► 2013 (157)
- there is only the dance
- big sky mind
- tempus, fugiting
- weather differentials
- one small amazing fact...
- Earth Ages, change and pockets of turbulence
- puffins on Staffa
- this shifting land that is our life
- Intimacy post no 3: addendum
- Mario Petrucci's 'Letters to Ukraine' (12)
- ps to Kureishi's 'Intimacy' (yesterday's blog)
- brief book blog: 3 on intimacy
- elephant, amnesia and ant holes... or 'don't give ...
- The T S Eliot prize, John Burnside & black cat bon...
- at the still point, there the dance is
- were we only white birds
- the act but not the perpetrator
- ... in order to see clearly...
- breaking the glass
- a dream built block by hand-made block dissolving
- on anger
- Thresholds 2012 (day retreat)
- 'The Peace of Wild Things' (Wendell Berry poem)
- 'sound when stretched is music'
- flowers, holy wells, da Vinci's 7 principles, and ...
- Sennen Cove (poem)
- ▼ January (26)
- ► 2011 (284)