from BARDO

The stars are in our belly; the Milky Way our umbilicus.

Is it a consolation that the stuff of which we’re made

is star-stuff too?


– That wherever you go you can never fully disappear –

dispersal only: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen.


Tree, rain, coal, glow-worm, horse, gnat, rock.


Roselle Angwin

Thursday 30 December 2010

Elders! The backwoodsman, poet and activist...

This is a PS to my last post: I called Barry Lopez my all-time favourite writer on Wild. How could I possibly have forgotten the wonderful backwoodsman, poet and activist Gary Snyder, who's shaped my thinking since I first met him as Japhy Ryder in Kerouac's The Dharma Bums, given to me by a traveller when I was an A level student and hitchhiked up (unbeknown, as they say, to my parents) to what was then Stonehenge Free Festival, on the summer solstice, where my life first veered strongly towards the road less travelled (except that there were a lot of us flowerchildren then taking it, and I guess my bohemian polymath father had always led us that way anyway). That's a long sentence!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive