The stars are in our belly; the Milky Way our umbilicus.
Is it a consolation that the stuff of which we’re made
is star-stuff too?
– That wherever you go you can never fully disappear –
dispersal only: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen.
Tree, rain, coal, glow-worm, horse, gnat, rock.
Friday, 20 January 2012
ps to Kureishi's 'Intimacy' (yesterday's blog)
In some ways it's a brave book, and the above doesn't stop me being engaged.
And the dilemma is not about solitude vs intimacy – that was my spin on it. It's more about the intimacy of monogamy with one specific person vs the so-called freedom to have intimate sexual relationship with another or others.
It's also a thoughtful meditation on what makes one person rather than another person special to us.
And it seems to me that the narrator is not capable of intimacy with anyone other than himself – but at least he has the latter. And Kureishi's writing is intelligent, sensitive, insightful and at times moving and profound. And quotable:
'I know love is dark work; you have to get your hands dirty. If you hold back, nothing interesting happens. At the same time, you have to find the right distance between people. Too close, and they overwhelm you; too far and they abandon you. How to hold them in right relation?'
- ► 2017 (68)
- ► 2016 (88)
- ► 2015 (78)
- ► 2014 (123)
- ► 2013 (157)
- there is only the dance
- big sky mind
- tempus, fugiting
- weather differentials
- one small amazing fact...
- Earth Ages, change and pockets of turbulence
- puffins on Staffa
- this shifting land that is our life
- Intimacy post no 3: addendum
- Mario Petrucci's 'Letters to Ukraine' (12)
- ps to Kureishi's 'Intimacy' (yesterday's blog)
- brief book blog: 3 on intimacy
- elephant, amnesia and ant holes... or 'don't give ...
- The T S Eliot prize, John Burnside & black cat bon...
- at the still point, there the dance is
- were we only white birds
- the act but not the perpetrator
- ... in order to see clearly...
- breaking the glass
- a dream built block by hand-made block dissolving
- on anger
- Thresholds 2012 (day retreat)
- 'The Peace of Wild Things' (Wendell Berry poem)
- 'sound when stretched is music'
- flowers, holy wells, da Vinci's 7 principles, and ...
- Sennen Cove (poem)
- ▼ January (26)
- ► 2011 (284)