from BARDO

The stars are in our belly; the Milky Way our umbilicus.

Is it a consolation that the stuff of which we’re made

is star-stuff too?


– That wherever you go you can never fully disappear –

dispersal only: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen.


Tree, rain, coal, glow-worm, horse, gnat, rock.


Roselle Angwin

Thursday 5 January 2012

'The Peace of Wild Things' (Wendell Berry poem)














When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.


~ Wendell Berry

2 comments:

  1. One of my favourite poems, kept on a wall next to Derek Mahon's 'The Mayo Tao'. Wendell has it sussed, I think. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sharon thanks for that - and the Mahon poem doesn't ring a bell - so maybe it's one to discover! :-) Thank you. And love Rx

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive