from BARDO

The stars are in our belly; the Milky Way our umbilicus.

Is it a consolation that the stuff of which we’re made

is star-stuff too?


– That wherever you go you can never fully disappear –

dispersal only: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen.


Tree, rain, coal, glow-worm, horse, gnat, rock.


Roselle Angwin

Tuesday 10 November 2015

Snow Branches: The Karma of the Animals

From time to time, I decided ages ago, I would invite guest blogs or request permission to reblog posts I rate.

David Ashton is my first, for a long time. He's a lawyer, Zen practitioner and vegan. I enjoy his posts. This one is on a subject very close to my heart: how it is that we supposed animal lovers can also be so much in denial that we 'use' animals for our appetites, entertainment, 'sport' and pleasure, rarely thinking of the cost to them. 

As the issue of EU subsidies for bullfighting rears its head again, I'm thinking that the best, the best possible transformation we could see in the human species would be to move away from being predators to collaborators with the rest of the planet. Here's hoping.

Please do follow the link.

Snow Branches: The Karma of the Animals: If I can make you give me pleasure, even if it hurts you, why not? Oppressor and oppressed. A relationship as old as the human race...



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for that Roselle, what a wonderful, uncomfortable reminder.
    As I read this I look up for a moment and see a line of lorries hammering through the village on route to the poultry farm just half a mile down the road from me. Yippee, Christmas is coming! The stench from the farm grows daily at this time of year, both physically and metaphorically.
    Hope the arm is healing, I guess your special time for writing was not to be. The universe has obviously something else up it's sleeve, just be nice sometimes if it asked instead of telling. But then would anyone listen?
    Love Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello Chris – good to have your comment on here. yes, these subjects are tricky, aren't they? i guess my increasing concern is that we make choices from a position of awareness not unconsciousness - so easy to say! rx

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive