The stars are in our belly; the Milky Way our umbilicus.
Is it a consolation that the stuff of which we’re made
is star-stuff too?
– That wherever you go you can never fully disappear –
dispersal only: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen.
Tree, rain, coal, glow-worm, horse, gnat, rock.
Tuesday, 12 November 2013
for anyone who fears that their somewhere is nowhere...
Wisdom consists of not being pulled apart by apparent contradictions, instead withstanding the conflict, and resting at, acting from, the centre of one's being. It's possible to learn not to push the river. (Perhaps. That's still mostly theory for me!)
Joseph Campbell once said: 'If the path ahead of you is clear, you're probably on someone else's.' So if yours is a little murky, maybe that's a consolation?
'Anxiety, heartbreak, and tenderness mark the in-between state. It's the kind of place we usually want to avoid. The challenge is to stay in the middle rather than buy into struggle and complaint. The challenge is to let it soften us rather than make us more rigid and afraid. Becoming intimate with the queasy feeling of being in the middle of nowhere only makes our hearts more tender. When we are brave enough to stay in the middle, compassion arises spontaneously. By not knowing, not hoping to know, and not acting like we know what's happening, we begin to access our inner strength.'
Pema Chodron, 'The In-between State'
- ► 2017 (45)
- ► 2016 (88)
- ► 2015 (78)
- ► 2014 (123)
- snake medicine
- 'in the time of no time' (haibun)
- goddesses - or how to break the patterns
- apples, Eve and selflessness (not)
- this tonight is happiness
- deep homing
- hiss or kiss?
- connecting principles, symbolic systems & astrolog...
- the sealskin
- for anyone who fears that their somewhere is nowhe...
- that under-estimated thistle: the artichoke
- the winged messenger flying backwards
- Darkness is not yet all around (poem)
- ▼ November (14)
- ► 2012 (199)
- ► 2011 (284)