The stars are in our belly; the Milky Way our umbilicus.
Is it a consolation that the stuff of which we’re made
is star-stuff too?
– That wherever you go you can never fully disappear –
dispersal only: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen.
Tree, rain, coal, glow-worm, horse, gnat, rock.
Wednesday, 17 October 2012
slug love and the heart's candle
Here lost tribes of corn marigolds flag field margins. New honeysuckle blossoms; and my outdoor potted jasmine has put forth some flowerbuds, possibly first time ever. Redwings are torn across the sky; above my head in Simon's field a pair of buzzards lift off in sync.
Devon-based Hilary Mantel has just won the Man Booker literary prize for a second time, with her Thomas Cromwell sequel. She's the first woman and first Briton to win it twice. Go, girl. Will Self was a favourite; an 'outsider', debut author Alison Moore with The Lighthouse from that small indie press known for its poetry, Salt, was also on the shortlist.
I'm learning the art of rest. Can't think why I haven't tried it before. In the night my blood pulses in my ears like the too-fast crash of waves on shingle. My heart slams against the walls of my chest like a loose shutter at a window, or a night-bird throwing itself repeatedly at glass. Over and over there's a question that I'm not getting, and one that I cannot answer. I'm shielding my heart like a candle from this wind that makes the trees whisper in Ash, Sycamore, Willow.
* See also 'How to Love Hornets', a blogpost from 2011
- ► 2017 (45)
- ► 2016 (88)
- ► 2015 (78)
- ► 2014 (123)
- ► 2013 (157)
- Butterfly at Samhain (poem)
- the light as it falls towards us, and saying yes
- inspirational poetry: Mary Oliver's Red Bird
- a few words from here
- the snake and the frog
- heart medicine
- badgers, granny bashers, baths
- slug love and the heart's candle
- let it be enough
- the holiness of the heart's affections
- zen on the edge and saying yes
- 'mind is clear light' poem
- 'beachcombing – bits of blue plastic'
- guest blog: 'Beauty in Limitation'
- the dark forest
- ▼ October (15)
- ► 2011 (284)