from BARDO

The stars are in our belly; the Milky Way our umbilicus.

Is it a consolation that the stuff of which we’re made

is star-stuff too?


– That wherever you go you can never fully disappear –

dispersal only: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen.


Tree, rain, coal, glow-worm, horse, gnat, rock.


Roselle Angwin

Tuesday 26 February 2019

terrible beauty

 
Heartlands - high moor - painting by Roselle Angwin

Two posts in two days. This might not happen again in a while (and this is still not about That Book).

I have just had occasion to drive what is, for me, probably the most beautiful road in the universe (with the exception of a) the northwest coast road of Mull, and b) the Gorges du Tarn). This road takes me over Dartmoor from Ashburton to Tavistock, and never fails to give me wings, any time of year, any weather.

Utter bliss: over Holne Bridge into woodland; over the Dart on the little Newbridge; up past 'my' Queen Birch (photographed last summer) with her twin trunks and her now-mahogany hair (a sure sign that she's getting ready for spring):




Ponies on the heights; buzzards aplenty; down past the hut circles to Dartmeet (the ghosts of me and my sisters as children still lying out on the ancient clapper bridge, only half of which is now still extant); back up again to the heights towards Prince Hall with its tall beeches, the moor all ochre-gold and sienna-rust; the tors prominent against the blue sky; Two Bridges with its geese; the ancient double stone row, stone circle and standing stone of Merrivale with a host of memories for me; then the little market town of Tavistock, my nearest town for a couple of decades, dreaming in the sun with its cherry blossom, crocuses, primroses, daffodils. Hawthorn hedges already in leaf: it used to be that, when I was growing up in North Devon, they would be in leaf in time for my mum's birthday, the vernal equinox. I saw my first hawthorn leaves, dotted with the odd tiny flower, in January this year, at Dartington. At Portland, in Dorset, the first swallow has been seen, approximately 6 weeks early.

20º C. A stunning day. I smile. Everyone I encounter is smiling. How can we not feel happier? 

And yet, much as I love this weather, it's not OK. Here, we're taking clothes off. In the Arctic, polar bears will be dying.

Yes, this is the apparently-benign face of climate change.


And there's another blot on the horizon. In fact, two.

The first, biggest, one, is a literal blot. In fact it's 180º degrees of blot, where as I drive they are swaling: deliberately burning off old gorse and heather. The thick smoke from four separate fires lies smoggily on the horizon. The moor is, for February, almost tinder-dry after a fortnight of dry and even hot weather.

This happens every year on the moor, often in October, sometimes in February. I hate this. Swaling is entirely for the farmers' benefit, the rationale being that new grass and shoots of bracken, heather, gorse will offer fresh food for the sheep, cattle and ponies grazed up here to provide meat for us, and for zoo animals. I love the dramatic scenery of the moor, but it's entirely as a result of grazing: left to itself, the moor would regenerate as woodland, as the forest it once was (amazingly, first cut in the Neolithic era using hand axes to provide grazing for the new farming revolution).


Swaling is an environmental disaster. It destroys biodiversity, it burns the ancient peat and therefore releases CO2, in itself it pollutes hugely, it destroys thousands upon thousands of small mammals, reptiles and the like. Already, early, skylarks – ground-nesting birds – are nesting.

The other blot on the horizon: the bloody foxhunters on their big warmbloods, in their red and black livery, are out. Foxes, as I wrote in my last post, have declined by 45% in a few short years. We have the hunt come through our valley, too: I haven't seen 'my' fox, who used to sit and sunbathe in its column of golden air in the field next door, for at least two years.

Oh but oh wait, I forgot: of course, since it's illegal now, it's not foxes they're hunting. After all, the hounds know they're not allowed to.

That's OK, then.










10 comments:

  1. Hi Ro. Yes, they’re blatantly hunting foxes here too. A neighbour of mine who follows in her car told me a few weeks ago that they were heading to a neighbouring farm that day as there were foxes that ‘needed getting rid of’.
    They ride like blood thirsty mad men through the village. Makes me sick
    Chris xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. There's also been undercover footage of huntsmen throwing live cubs into the kennels, to give the hounds the scent and taste.

      The old feudal order. Needs overthrowing.

      Rx

      Delete
  2. I like it, Roselle and struggle to find a journey as good as the one you describe, which I'm sure we've made on each visit to Devon. The one which comes to mind, though, is that part of the M6 north between Preston and Lancaster, near Garstang where the land eastwards rises into the bulky fells of Bowland and what I think of as true north takes over. On a clear day you can see the glitter of sea and the Cumbrian fells to the west and north. I always have that childhood thrill whenever I make the journey.
    So much of these routes are, as you express so vividly, full of nostalgia and childhood memories.

    Oh and I do agree with you about this unsettling May-in-February feeling. I hate to be a spoil-sport but, lovely though it is, it's out of place and dangerously premature.
    Thanks for the treat of two posts in two days!
    Miri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes I know that bit well, Miri! It is indeed lovely - those little farms off to the east in the valley?

    Rx

    ReplyDelete
  4. As well as everything else, I'm glad you mention that Dartmoor could be forest again. I dream of rewilding all over the country. Bx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, indeed, B. I imagine you've read Monbiot's 'Feral'? - What might change things is our desire to shift from our anthropocentric viewpoint to an ecocentric one. This feels like the focus of all my work now.

    nice to hear from you.

    Rx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed yes, and 'Wilding' by Isabella Tree which I found equally inspiring. Thank you for your vital work. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah interesting to hear - equally inspiring. I have 'Wilding' but haven't yet read it – for myself, I fear that once again it'll be anthropocentric, and (again personally) champion meat-eating, which as you know I can't fully support, for many reasons, and the environmental cost of which I feel is one of our biggest problems.

    But that might be my prejudice, so perhaps I should read it first!

    Thanks (again) for your kind words, Belinda. Rx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah yes, the bitter-sweet early heat.
    And the heaviness of ignorance.
    I often imagine a world without the men in 'pink',
    and all the rest of us who take,
    and forget to think before we ... (fill in the blank).
    I hope we meet up in the next year or so. I will be in Scotland for a few weeks this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are two powerful first lines, Veronica! Thank you for your poetic comment.

    Yes, I hope we do too. Glad you'll manage a few weeks this year! (I'll be on Iona again in September for the late-summer retreat I'm offering this year.)

    Lovely to know you're still visiting this blog.

    Rx

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive